Saturday, November 11, 2006

Can it be Monday?


All I'm going to say here - is that we were very bad! Essentially we all skipped school. I'm talking me and Caitlin, Heidi, Ben and Kara, and Vikki and Alyson.

Now - Caitlin and I did attempt to get in some school this morning. We did one Literature lesson with Ramona and then worked on a science experiment. We are still studying those ecosystems and today we examined the desert. Caitlin prepared an experiment that showed the benefit of the cactus having a waxy skin. She made two rolled stacks of papertowels and soaked them. Then she wrapped one of the stacks in wax paper and secured all with rubberbands. Then the "cacti" went out for a nap in the bright sunshine. And guess what - the "cactus" with the wax paper retained almost all of its water and the other was dry! What an adaptation! Now - armed with this knowledge - I checked the fiber content on most of my clothes. I was convinced this was causing a little excess water retention. I was disappointed to find no wax listed on any of the tags. Hmmmmm.....

Lunch time took us straight back to Heidi's house - for Halloween food part 2. The buffet needed some serious help. So we all snacked and talked homeschooling. I picked Heidi and Vikki's brains about spelling and discovered a fantastic spelling curriculum that I can't wait to try. It seems a bit revolutionary - but something has to give. Caitlin can ace a spelling test - but don't try to put those words in a paragraph or sentence. It all goes downhill. So - I was trying to find some strategy that would help us with that. Heidi and Vikki may have come to our rescue.

Vikki's husband Sean joined us with his sister and her husband. His sister Deb and her hubby were in town and had run the Marine Corps Marathon the day before. And they looked ok?! They were hungry though - and we had the buffet to help them out!

The kids had the best time playing and I have to say it was the best "mental health day" we could have asked for. Caitlin and I trudged home after sunset and vowed to "get with it" tomorrow!

No comments: