Tuesday, November 07, 2006

What a Friday


Friday?! Already?! Wow - time just zipped straight through my calendar! The leaves are changing - there are plump, orange pumpkins all over the neighborhood. And as of today - we have completed 45 days of school. Which is also 9 weeks - but 45 days sounds much more accomplished - and like I really keep my finger on every detail! Ha! We focused a lot on history today. I was very impressed with a project that Caitlin completed after learning about Isabella D'Este. (I had never heard of her either.) But she was my kind of woman. She and her husband ruled Mantua - a northern citystate in Italy near Venice. She was a "Renaissance Woman." She could read and write in several languages and play musical instruments and do Mathematics. I have to say - I was thrilled that our history curriculum gave us a postivie female role model from the Italian Renaissance. Mrs. D'Este's husband got in a bit of trouble and was jailed in Venice - and she continued to rule without him. Unheard of at this time! The neatest thing though - she opened a school where boys AND girls could learn.

Caitlin's project was to make a brochure advertising this school. Her work is wonderful! See for yourself! The inside of the brochure gives some brief details about Mrs. D'Este and her qualifications and then advertises things like "Special Guests in Art like Leonardo da Vinci" and for math she stated "that you will learn more than the 1-2-3's" - and also that the first week is free and if you aren't happy - you're money back! I am sure Isabella's enrollment would have soared!

No comments: