Monday, November 06, 2006

What a Thursday


Not really much of a day compared to the rest of our week. So I'm not sure that "what a Thursday" is the correct title - but it is the theme - and homeschoolers are all about "the theme!" I personally love themes - but already have discovered that theme based units are a ton of work. And that is good some of the time - but not all of the time. Maybe if I had a staff I could do that all of the time!

Today, after reading Ramona Quimby, Caitlin had to write about a "fad" that she would start. It seems that in the Ramona book - the fad was having hard-boiled eggs for lunch. Caity's idea was for there to be a "Skit Day" in school once a week. The catch was that the students wrote the skits and the teachers performed them. I like 3rd grade fads! Teacher humiliation and hard-boiled eggs!

Our music lessons using the solflege methods are working. Caitlin sang in the most beautiful singing voice today that I have ever heard her use. She sang on her unit assessment and I was blown away. So maybe these silly songs have some good reasoning behind them - or it is K12's way of making something out of nothing. But it is working!

And finally - it was the final soccer game of the season. Yellow Jackets vs. Volcanoes. Rematch. Caitlin vs. her friend Allyson. Caitlin's confidence recovered from her face's close encounter with the soccer ball earlier in the season and she was on the attack somewhat. And how did it all end? It was perfect - a tie! So the Yellow Jackets remained undefeated for the season!!! (even though we weren't keeping score. Oops!)

No comments: