
We managed to venture out into DC again this weekend. We had not logged a letterbox "find" since August 12th and we were eager to see what other letterboxers wanted to share with us. It was fabulous. We did a walking tour of Georgetown and found 9 boxes!
The boxes were just great...but the locations were fantastic to discover....places like Dumbarton House, Oak Hill Cemetery, Tudor Place Gardens, Book Hill Park, The Exorcist Steps (from the movie), Francis Scott Key Park, The Shops at Georgetown and the C&O Canal - which is a National Park.

The Exorcist Steps were interesting - I could not find any signs that explained how they were named. Now I find that most disconcerting. Especially since over in Rosslyn - across the Key Bridge - there is a sign that explains that the 3rd Infantry runs from Rosslyn to the Exorcist's Steps! After seeing how steep and numerous they were - I thought the name could possibly be self-explanatory...but the computer is a wonderful thing....and I found out that The "Exorcist Steps", 75 (or 74 - one is very small) stone steps at the end of M-Street in Georgetown, were padded with 1/2"-thick rubber to film the death of Father Damien Karras in the movie "The Exorcist". The stuntman tumbled down the stairs twice. Georgetown University students charged people around $5 each to watch the stunt from the rooftops. But - this doesn't make for the greatest homeschooling material....
You can't argue that the family fun and exercise are awesome though! Letterbox "stats" now: P15F313X37HH22
No comments:
Post a Comment