Thursday, September 21, 2006

This Thursday...

I am so thrilled with our curriculum....I think. Let me explain. Caitlin is going through a step by step unit on writing a paper. She formulated a very simple paragraph in the beginning and through the lessons - she has turned this into a lovely paper. It isn't quite done - so we can't unveil it yet...but I am really excited about the evolution of Caitlin's writing abilities...stay tuned.

Now -the downside of the curriculum. There is a handy dandy button on our computer screen called "Advanced Preparation." AKA - my job. I click it every night and check what I need to get ready so there are no unexpected surprises in the lesson the next day. Well - I got quite a surprise when I hit the button last night to look over our new Science unit on invertebrates. Let me share with you what it said -


Before you begin the activity, make sure you have plenty of newspaper on the work surface. Examine the fish and then dissect it.
1. Examine
Lift the gill cover. What do the gills look like?
Feel the fish's scales. Rub one way, then the other. What do you notice?
Find the pectoral and caudal fins on the fish. What shape are they?

2. DissectPerform the following steps for your student.
1. Carefully insert a sharp knife into the fish's anus, and make a shallow cut along the belly to a point just below the gill opening.
2. Continue to cut upward along the gill cover to the backbone.
3. Cut upward from the anus to the backbone to create a skin flap. Carefully peel back the skin flap.
4. Open the body and observe the organs without removing them.

3. Notice
The liver is triangular and is red or brownish.
The intestine is white or brown and shaped like an earthworm.
The swim bladder looks like a large bag and is white or silver.
The kidney is dark red or almost black, and lies near the backbone.
The heart is dark red, triangular, and located under the gills.
If the fish has testes, they are usually white. Ovaries are usually yellow or orange.
To remove the eye lens, cut the eye and squeeze out the fluid. The lens will look like a clear marble.
If you wish, you may open the stomach to see what the fish has recently eaten.


I think I turned green and didn't sleep well - and prayed and prayed that Tony will be eager to teach science this week! School teachers really don't get paid enough.

No comments: