Monday, September 25, 2006

Its Monday...

Wow! What a day...we doubled up on some math, spelling and history lessons so that we can spend Friday at a pumpkin patch/corn maze...and yes...we got THE FISH! We phoned a fish market over in Georgetown and they couldn't have been more pleasant. He suggested a rockfish, since it was local and a good size to handle. Said rock fish would weigh in around 2 pounds and they run around $6.00 per pound. When we arrived, they were so excited to be helping Caity with her lessons that they only charged us $2.00 for the whole fish!

On the way to the car, Caity named the fish Rocky. I asked her if it would be hard to dissect something she had named and Caity replied that "well surgeons know their patient's names before the operation." Guess she got me there! Rocky will "reveal" himself tonight - pictures tomorrow!

As Caity continued her studies of the art and history of the Middle Ages - we finished up Giotto and met Petrarch. The art lesson today was so much fun because Caitlin painted on a plaster slab similar to the surface that Giotto used to paint the church frescoes in Italy. She used watercolors and learned about spacing and perspective. She learned that Petrarch was the Father of Humanism and she wrote him a letter. I loved the "PS" which informed him to "Keep his friends close." She said that she remembered that advice from Harry Potter and thought Petrarch would appreciate it during the dark and dangerous Middle Ages.

I think it is good advice for times when it isn't dark and dangerous as well!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you my friend -- my phone died and then Cal came home -- I cannot wait to see you -- I am prayerful that something will click and make the road ahead clear...or at least clearer! LOVE you -- see you in a week or so -- cpo

Anonymous said...

Hey there Honour!! I spoke with your mom last night, and she directed me to your blog...Ilove this!!! What a neat thing!!! Please give Caity and Tony my love....I miss you and love you so much!!
Kara :)