Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Another Thursday...

Today - we imagined that we were homeschooling as if we lived in a "hotel" in New York. I don't know if you have seen/read about the character Eloise - but that fit the bill today. I would like to imagine that we were a bit more focused and less troublesome than Eloise...but maybe not. And having a fabulous concierge like Kenneth in our lobby of the Richmond Marriott played right into our imaginations!

We came down the elevator to hunt up some breakfast. Kenneth immediately approached us and suggested we try the pseudo-Starbucks. Terrific idea! I had some chamomile tea (maybe not the best choice when you are trying to wake-up - it was very soothing!) and Caity enjoyed a box of cereal, some fruit and some lemonade. It was a great little location - while Caity worked on spelling - I could people-watch!

Mom popped in on us between her board meetings - and then we all walked down to the Virginia State Library for lunch at Sweet Peas. This is a great idea! It is a little cafe nestled in the lobby of the library - the tables are scattered in an area surrounded by art exhibits. Lovely lunch...and we were still in our "metro fantasy!"

Back to the room and we tackled the Friendly Letter. Tackled is about the right word for it. Caitlin had the letter finished - but since this was a "landmark lesson" (according to our teacher) she needed to re-write it in ink. I had no idea this would be such a frightening task for Caity. I naively thought it was just copy work. Well - after waiting for an eternity (aka - several solved sudoku puzzles) - she had only written the date, greeting and a portion of one sentence. She was terrified of making a mistake - (ink can not be erased) - to the point of pen paralysis! We finally got through it - but I learned that white-out would be in my toolbag for any more "landmark lessons."

We did manage to squeeze in a letterbox at dinner - there was one hidden inside a Barnes and Noble! Yes - inside the Barnes and Noble - IN A BOOK! It was a great find for us - we loved it.

Our little "Eloise" capped off the night with some good old physical education in the hotel's indoor pool before turning in for bed.

No comments: