Sunday, October 15, 2006

Special Saturday...

Today was a veryspecial day for Caitlin. Her birthfather Justin and his family came to visit her today. She hasn't seen Justin since she was 10 months old, so she only remembered him from pictures. I just can't describe how excited she was.

Our day began with a soccer game. Caitlin had the largest cheering section of all! They Yellow Jackets continue their undefeated season and Caitlin even got to play goalie for awhile this time! Following soccer we grabbed a bite to eat. After this, Caity was eager to sink her teeth into the gifts that Justin and his family brought her. These were amazing gifts - but before I get to that, I think the "Nature vs. Nurture" argument bears some inspection.

You see, Caitlin has always been such a math/science brain - she loves to put things together and she has always loved those car-building shows on TLC and Discovery Channel. She and Tony have built two model cars - her first selection was a 1965 Mustang and her 2nd choice was a Monster Truck. Let me now tell you about Justin - he builds Monster Trucks! Did Caitlin know this - no one had ever told her...but I think she must have known this on some deeper level. So - as far as nature v. nurture - it is both! Let's just say - there was a connection between them and it was wonderful, compelling and magical to watch.

Ok, OK - the gifts. Justin's parents had gone shopping and purchased Caitlin a remote control Monster Truck. It came with an owner's manual and is a fabulous toy! But Justin also went shopping for Caity and he too, bought a remote control truck! Pure coincidence - and pure joy! Justin's truck was so fancy it should have come with a Title and Insurance! So - the remote control trucks were tearing it up out in the field and Caity and Justin were having a great time! He taught her how to put the trucks together, how to charge and connect batteries - even how to jump the truck. Just great....but the batteries all ran out and it was time to do other things.

Caity and Justin went bike riding for about an hour, they played on the playground (funny to watch a 6'4" guy go down the corkscrew slide!) and they played boardgames with us and Justin's girlfriend Jen - (Spongebob Life and Clue). It was a very full and fun afternoon.

We hopped on the metro and went back to their hotel and ordered in Chinese food for dinner (Caity's favorite) and then Justin, Jen, Caity, Sarah (Justin's sister) and Steve (Sarah's friend) went out for ice cream while Tony and I stayed and talked with Justin's folks Mike and Nancy.

It couldn't have gone any better - and Tony and I watched as Caity did her best to hold in her tears when we had to go.

As adoptive parents, Tony& I feel this is one of the greatest gifts we can give Caitlin - the rest of her family. Having more people to love you is never a bad thing! And if you are wondering...she loves dolls and make-up, too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW -- not only does Caity look like Justin...Justin looks like his Dad...I am so grateful all is as it is...wonderful! I am on my one day...and two legs is two too many with this Captain...I'll tell you all about it later...love you -- thanks for the pics!! cpo

Anonymous said...

I loved reading this blog of Caitlin and Justin. This was very exciting for me to read. I am so glad their time together went well. We are in the process of choosing b/t 2 adoption agencies. We have a meeting next week and then from there, we'll make a decision. I called you tonight to let you know we'll be in D.C. Nov. 29-Dec 2. We'd LOVE to see you. Give me a call. Love ya,
Wendi