
A day of waiting. Waiting for our family to arrive. Those days always seem imtermiably long and the days after they arrive just fly. According to cliche...that means we are having fun...but I still wish it was reversed and the wait was fast and the time together would just creep by.
We worked hard in school today - really sinking our teeth into our history lesson. We learned about Florence during the Renaissance. We learned how and why the Medici family made their fortune and how the Medici family's benevolence helped Florence flourish.
Notice I use the word "we." How true this is - I am learning as much as Caitlin. Now - I am familiar with all of these things. I do not pass a day without reading and really credit this to how much I have learned over the years. My Mom, Carol, Caitlin and I had a long conversation about education. With a desire to learn, a good foundation in math and a high level of reading comprehension - is there really any knowledge you can't aquire? Is it really that simple? We decided that the 'desire' part of the equation was the toughest to teach and instill. Do you think you just have that desire or not? We would love your feedback on that one!
Now, back to the lesson - it truly seems like history is blossoming before our eyes. There is an awareness for us as to how the whole story of history fits together. Becasue we have all been so excited about it, we are starting a new project that we found on Amy Pak's website. We will make a large timeline in an 18"x24" sketchbook. We will place the important events and characters that we meet along the way in their respective places along the timeline. And Caitlin will create an index card file with these same events and characters. These will be tools that I envision her using throughout the rest of her education and maybe beyond. We can't wait to get started and will share with you as we go along!
No comments:
Post a Comment