Monday, October 16, 2006

A Simple Sunday...

Wow! We are still all wrapped up in the good feelings associated with seeing Justin and his family. We (Tony and I) are exhausted and I have a the beginnings of a cold (we had our first cold snap of weather - and I just can't give up the flip-flops yet).

Speaking of cold...the science experiment of the day was about blubber! We have been studying about different ecosystems...and are fascinated by the tundra. In an ironic way, it has that "grass is always greener" appeal - although it is an unlikely, umcomfortable and difficult place to live.

We talked about the different animals that live there and the adaptations in the animals that allow them to survive on the tundra. For instance, the ptarmigan grows feathers between its toes during the coldest months that help it walk on top of the snow like it has on snowshoes! Another adaptation is blubber - seals and polar bears are full of it.

Caity took two coffee mugs. She filled one with shortening (blubber) and put nothing into the other one. A thermometer was placed into each mug. After a room temperature reading, the mugs went into the fridge. Readings were taken at 10 minute intervals for 30 minutes total.

Results: The mug without shortening had an almost 30 degree drop in its temperature reading. The blubber mug only dropped 8 degrees!

Caity had a great time doing this and clearly saw the results and the usefulness of blubber.

All I have to ask is....how warm will you be this winter? :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Caity,
I am afraid I will be quite warm this winter!!!
I loved the photos of you and Justin. What fun the 2 of you must have had.
See you soon.
Love, MaeMae

Anonymous said...

Hi Zucco family, especially Caity...I really enjoyed reading your website. I hope you don't mind, Lauren told me about it. I am her sister and your aunt. I saw you when you were a baby and you have grown up to be quite the little red head. I have red hair too, though not as red as yours. I would love to be able to email you guys and have you email me too. I live in Tennessee. My email is jennifer_l_cox@yahoo.com - the letter in the middle is an l not the number 1. It is really nice reading about the going-ons in your life. And I love your kitties. :)

Take Care,
Jenn