
There were a couple of things to note today - both relating to the fact that I often feel that my child is smarter than I am.
At 3:00 p.m. she joined in an ONLINE SESSION with her assigned K12 teacher. Yes...an online session. It was too cool. Our school uses a program called "Elluminate" for their online sessions. You log in, adjust your the volume on your headphones and your speaker - and you join in the class. There are buttons that Caitlin selects if she has a question - and it will "raise her hand" for her teacher. Her teacher will then release the microphone to her and Caity will ask her question. There is a screen where a slide-show presentation guides the lesson.
Today's class was on the Math Journaling that I had previously told you about. Parents had attended a session with the teacher on this - but the kids had not. Being a brilliant teacher, Mrs. Harding thought that if she got online and explained the concept and that the students had to do this - she could be "the bad guy" for the students that aren't into math journaling.
I know at this point you are thinking that after reading yesterday's post about Caitlin's lack of enthusiasm regarding writing - this math journaling stuff must not be going well. But we have no problems. If we are writing about numbers - it is a breeze for her!
But it was the neatest thing to look over and see her "in class" with the other online students. Can't you just imagine that most of our future learning will take place this way?
If you are wondering - the only question that Caitlin asked was in regards to a problem that explained that Francis wanted a haircut and a perm. The haircut costs $10.00 and the perm was $18.00, etc. Caitlin raised her hand at the end of the problem to ask "What is a perm?" Had to laugh.
The second thing that made me realize that my child was going to be smarter than I am: we started a new unit today in "Literature" class - the purple class (our books are purple). The unit covers "test preparedness" - and teaches us how to take tests. We read sample questions, fill in bubbles (with our no. 2 pencils) and write essays. Wow - three booklets worth of this -
I know that if I had that kind of preparation - I could prove I am the genius that I think I am!
And yes...we had school in our pajamas today!
1 comment:
OK -- thank you ... needed the caity/honour fix, almost feels as though I am there. I am slogging through piles in the office...you have inspired me to attempt to get control of my office...and I have a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGG way to go. But if Caity can write a cool essay, I guess I can get this done too! How is your Mom? I have now committed myself to doing Thanksgiving...I got Thanksgiving Thurs and Fri off (without trying...didn't bid it off or anything) and have invited the Danny's and Tim/Darla -- I can handle 8 right?!?!? Love you friend -- hugs around -- more soon...keep the Blog going, it is good stuff...lymi, cpo
Post a Comment