The worksheet and lesson today were "compare and Contrast and Drawing Conclusions." I was to say to Caitlin, "Imagine that you're playing in a park. Suddenly, a dog runs by, dragging its leash behind it. Then two children run by. They shout, "Rover, Rover! Come back! Come here boy!" You might draw the conclusion that the dog belongs to the children. At which point Caitlin replied, "Well, actually, I would draw the dog as he ran by me!" All I'm going to say - is that it isn't easy to explain what "drawing conclusions" means. She eventually understood that you guess at an outcome and understand why something happened...but she kept wanting to draw it! She finally satisfied herself by saying - "Well, I'll just draw it in my head." Which, as I thought about it...is what it is anyway.
Other breaking news: Caitlin tried out for the Bolling Barracudas swim team tonight. Soccer is ending soon (felt like we just started!) and she wanted a sport that would continue through the winter. Now - I was worried, I'll admit. She just really mastered the art of not drowning (notice how I didn't exactly call it "swimming") this summer. She hasn't ever stroked her way from one end of the pool to the other and she certainly had no competitive strokes to demonstrate to the coach. But - she wanted to give it a whirl...so we did! The cool thing was that the indoor pool is located at the "Navy Research Lab" - and I have been curious about that since the day we got here. What do they do there? So now...I get a special pass to go on that campus - just next door to Bolling. Hmmmm.....

Caitlin jumped into the pool and fearlessly and confidently swam to the other end of the pool...and back! And the next time she did it...she threw in a flip turn!? She poured her entire heart into doing her best and just went back and forth doing everything the coach suggested. Now, on the backstroke, she veered off course and ran into the wall most of the way...but she never, ever quit or got frustrated or cried. And when the practice was done, she got out of the pool and asked the coach, "Can I come back?" And the coach said, "Yes, of course." And Caitlin's precious little drippy face just beamed and she screamed, "I made the team!" It was wonderful! The coach even remarked that she has the biggest heart and tries so hard!
So - we are a Bolling Barracuda family now - and will help them celebrate their 25th year of swimming. How about that?
No comments:
Post a Comment